St Andrew's Barracks
Various Royal Marine Units occupied these barracks from 1952 until 1960/1962 when they left, as separate units, for service elsewhere.
The next time that the Corps was stationed in Malta was in 1971 when 41 Commando Group RM moved from the UK to St Andrew’s Barracks where it remained for only a short time. In 1973 it returned and remained there until 1977 when, after Trooping the Regimental Colour, it withdrew.
The Unit left a Company Group (Salerno Company) on the island, based at Luqa RAF Station, to protect British interests.
The British gave St Andrews Barracks, complete with messes and clubs, churches, gymnasiums and cinema, back to the Maltese Government on 16 August 1977. They did still retained some facilities, including a school and some of the family accommodation until all the Service families had left the island.