HMS St Angelo
Page 1 of 7
Introduction – the story of HMS St Angelo
HMS Egmont, the receiving and depot ship at Malta did not move ashore until 1912. Previously the establishment had been in the form of a hulk, or decommissioned ship, moored to the fortifications. In 1933 the Admiralty changed the name to HMS St Angelo – the name of the fort in which the establishment was housed.
The shore establishment was the main administration centre for Royal Naval activities in the Mediterranean. The establishment played a part in major events in both World Wars and throughout the 20th century until its closure in 1979.
Introduction - the story of HMS St Angelo
HMS Egmont Afloat, 1904 – 1912
HMS Egmont Ashore, 1912 – 1933
HMS St Angelo, 1933 – 1939
HMS St Angelo during World War Two
HMS St Angelo Post World War Two